It’s that time of year: pool parties, fireworks and barbecues. But don’t forget about grill safety when you’re making those delicious hamburgers and hot dogs!
- Grill outdoors, away from structures.
It seems obvious, but statistics show that over a quarter of grill fires begin on a patio, porch or balcony. Make sure your grill is set up outside and at least 10 feet away from your home.
- Keep your grill stable.
Set up your grill on a flat surface where it can’t be tipped over. Use a grill-specific pad or mat underneath the grill to keep it level and protect the surface it’s sitting on.
- Check for propane leaks.
Before you get cooking, check your gas tank hose for leaks. Apply a soap and water solution to the hose, then turn on the gas. If there’s a leak, the solution will bubble. If you smell gas near the grill, you likely have a leak.
- Clean your grill regularly.
Take care of any grease or fat buildup on the grill and the tray beneath. If you use a charcoal grill, wait until the coals are completely cool, then dispose of them in a metal container. For cleaning, you can use a long-handled wire brush and soap and water. Use the brush to clean off any large debris, then soak the grates and panels in the soapy water. Then scrub away with the brush!
- Safety first.
Keep baking soda and a fire extinguisher near the grill in case of fire. NEVER use water to put out a grease fire.
Take care this summer to keep your barbecues accident free. Never leave the grill unattended, and be prepared for an emergency.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, outdoor grilling causes an average of 8,900 homes fires annually.
Try this healthy grill recipe this summer.
Chicken, Corn and Tomato Foil Packs
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 2 ears of corn, kernels stripped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Fresh Ground black pepper
- Heat grill to high. Cut 4 sheets of foil about a foot long each. Top each piece of foil with a chicken breast, tomatoes, corn and garlic. Drizzle with oil and top with a pat of butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold the foil packets over the mixture and roll top and bottom edges to close.
- Grill until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Top with basil and serve.
Content by Lockton Dunning Benefits with info from https://blog.nationwide.com/grill-safety/.
Recipe adapted from: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a47496/chicken-tomatoes-and-corn-foil-pack-recipe/.